Thistledown Racino Expansion
North Randall, OH
Renovation and upgrade of an existing casino and horse racing facility with major MEP infrastructure improvements. The project included a two-level building addition with a new VLT gaming floor expansion, restaurant, kitchen, dining/bar areas and support offices.
Summary of Services:
- Facility assessment to identify MEP infrastructure deficiencies, with proposed solutions and budget costs.
- Schematic design of several MEP system options to consider, including major HVAC additions/upgrades, power service upgrades, domestic water and fire pump improvements.
- Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing system design.
- Construction administration and site observation reports.
- Building Information Modeling (BIM).
System Design Highlights:
- Complete power system upgrade including conversion of service voltage from 480/277 volt, 3 phase, 4 wire to utility distribution voltage of 13.2 kV, 3 phase.
- New design of 13.2 kV medium voltage distribution system to accommodate new expanded footprint of existing facility, new expansion, new parking garage and mechanical plant.
- Raised floor system for power and data wiring routing to gaming machines.
- Plumbing systems design to accommodate new kitchen, restaurant and bars in expansion area.
- Replacement and upgrade of the existing casino gaming floor HVAC system, which was significantly deficient of ventilation/make-up air, cooling capacity and heating capacity. A new 700-ton central chilled water system and 12,000 mbh heating hot water boiler plant were designed to serve several new air handling units to provide 30,000 cfm outside air in the existing facility without disruption to casino operations. The central plant was sized to also serve the building addition HVAC systems.
- Design of new domestic water booster pump and fire protection pump to serve the existing facility and the building addition.
Unique Project Challenges:
- The existing facility required 24 hour, 365 day operation. All MEP & FP systems were designed to accommodate the facility improvements and the building expansion without requiring significant operational downtime.
Expansion: 52,581 square feet
Project Completion Date: